You have scheduled a visit of neuro-ophthalmology but has not yet come and wondered how you are going to be the visit and prior information or current situation we may need.
If you have a family member or known to have passed through our department, you probably already know that the first visit of neuro-ophthalmology is one of more exhaustive that we realize in the center.
- In the first place, we will need pointing in an orderly way all the information available, both of your current issue as their previous diseases. We will begin the visit collecting its history. If possible, it is important to have all reports and medical tests that have made other centers, including the list of medications you are currently taking (With the dose and corresponding guideline). With this, we will have ordered the original parts in order to continue.
- It is important that the day of the visit has not made any test where you have had to dilate the pupils, because evaluate the size and reaction of its pupils is fundamental for the visit Neuro-oftalmológica.
- If you wear glasses, it is also very important to bring them. On the one hand, it will be necessary to check that the vision with his glasses has not changed since your last visit to the Center. On the other hand, check if, with his glasses, both eyes are aligned (i.e. looking at the same site).
- Depending on the specific problem and alterations that we find in the scan, visit it may be extended and it can be necessary to carry out one or the other tests.It may be that we need to put drops that can both expand as contracting their pupils. We recommend you to come accompanied, not having to drive in the hours following the visit and to bring sunglasses, your vision may be blurred after the visit and it is possible that disturb you light more than usual.
- We recommend that you do not put makeup on the eyes the day of the visit because it would hamper the exploration.
At the end of the visit, we will explain you the first impression we have of the diagnosis (or possible diagnoses), your prognosis and treatment. In the case of a possible treatment, the majority of the times will involve different specialists, which may be both of the other branches of the Ophthalmology (Oculoplastica, strabismus…) as other medical specialties (neurologists, neurosurgeons, interventional radiologists, otolaryngologists… ). In most cases, after this first visit will be needed more evidence to continue seeking the diagnosis either to assess the evolution and possible treatment.
Where you see a problem especially difficult or rare, it is possible that we ask you to allow us the images that brings the resonance or other tests. We will review and discuss (anonymously) in clinical sessions in which we have the opinion of other specialists, always with the intention of being able to give the best possible outcome to your case.