- Botox (botulinium toxin) relaxes muscles and is used to treat both medical conditions (such as eyelid and face spasms) and to reduce the signs of ageing (facial wrinkles).
- It rarely causes more than mild discomfort and can be injected without anaesthetic.
- Its effects generally last for around 5 months when used to treat medical conditions, and 4 to 6 months when used cosmetically.
- The injections can be repeated after the desired effects have worn off.
Botox. Facial rejuvenation and medical treatment.
|FACIAL REJUVENATION WITH BOTOX||TREATMENT OF MEDICAL CONDITIONS WITH BOTOX|
|Used to treat:|
Used to treat:
|The effects last for 4-6 months.||The eye effects last for 3-5 months.|
|The treatment is carried out on an outpatient basis, normally without anaesthesia, and the patient is able to immediately resume normal activities.|
What is botox?
Botox is a toxin that is purified in the lab and used to relax muscles.
What is it used for?
Botulinium toxin or botox is used in medicine for different types of procedure. In ophthalmology it is mainly used to treat medical conditions and for cosmetic procedures.
It is used for the following medical treatments:
- Eyelid muscle contractions.
- Spasms on one side of the face; involuntary repeated muscle spasms on one side of the face.
- Facial tics.
When used for cosmetic treatments, very precise doses are injected to specific muscle areas. This allows for small areas of muscle around the eyes to be relaxed, reducing eye wrinkles.
Do the injections hurt? Are they done under anaesthetic? Is recovery fast?
Botox injections cause little discomfort. The procedure is carried out on an outpatient basis, normally without any kind of anaesthetic, with the patient free to resume their regular activities immediately.
The injections can, however, be painful in some cases, such as for chronic patients who require them repeatedly. In such cases we can apply an anaesthetic cream to the injection site a few minutes before the procedure.
How long do the effects last? In which areas do they work best?
The time that the effects of the botox last will vary depending on the dose and the purpose for its use.
- Generally, for medical treatments, such as eyelid spasms, the effects last for between 4 and 5 months.
- When used for cosmetic purposes, it can last for between 4 and 6 months and even for up to a year.
The effects of botox are most notable in the area around the eyes, especially the brow, crow’s feet and on the forehead.
How many times can the treatment be repeated?
Botox injections can be repeated as many times as the patient needs.
- Generally in the case of cosmetic procedures, the injections are reapplied every 6 months or so.
- In the case of medical treatments, the injections are usually reapplied when symptoms return.